Saturday, February 14, 2015

Rock This Boat Part 1: Casting

I have debated with myself for months on whether i should share all of this. But after watching these girls tear me apart on social media, accusing me of lies.... I've come to the conclusion that I have a right to tell my side of this story.

October 2013 when the NKOTB cruise was announced, i decided to video our "booking the cruise" experience because let's face it, it's pretty hilarious. I edited it just for our own fun & shared it with my group. Shortly after we got the casting email about Rock This Boat. Our original plan was to use the booking video but also add our photos/stories to it. Time got away from me and I didn't have time to re edit everything so i said why not just send the booking video. I was on speaker phone with the 2 others, so you could see it was a group effort to make sure we all got on the boat. So we sent all our info in 1 email to the casting company. The following morning we had a reply from casting, they wanted to skype with each of our group. We each did a skype interview, then they asked to interview me again. At the end of the skype interview i was asked "bottom line why should we choose you, what will you do that will make ppl watch?" I said ïve been on 5 cruises and have yet to get into Donnie's afterparty, so this year I was going all out, whatever it takes, cabin stalking, boobies, whatever. what will i have to do? watch and find out!" Later I got a call from casting saying we'd been chosen to be part of the show. I was told they were selecting several groups of fans for the show, and that each group had a "main person" so that they would only have to keep in contact with 6-7 ppl instead of 20-30 ppl. We were not allowed to tell anyone we were chosen so it's not like we could compare info with the others chosen. The film crew came to my house in November and I was told to invite my friends. When they came that day, they interviewed me for like 4 hrs, interviewed my husband/kids then we shot a group scene playing the Bluebloods drinking game. (originally producers asked us to go sing kareoke but we said um no and came up with the BB drinking game instead) As the day went on my friends & I realized that I was the focus of the group for filming, not just for communication purposes. At this point my friends assured me REPEATEDLY that they were not only ok with being "B"characters (Their words!) but that they were actually happy/relieved that they could be a part of this without the pressure on them. They said I had the personality for tv and fun stories to share etc...We had no clue what we would be getting paid, but honestly I didn't care. I was in this for the experience, to be a part of NKOTB history and knowing if nothing else, the New Kids would know who we were! In addition to the footage they shot here, I also had to make several short videos of my day to day life. So yeah I've put a lot of energy into this!
The footage shot in November was for a video package sent to the network, basically here's what we have to offer, do you want to buy/air this show. At this point it wasn't a for sure thing until the network gave it the green light. In January I was told that the show was ago but they were still deciding which groups to follow. The end of March I got the official call from casting saying that we were for sure chosen to be on the show! This was like a dream, so much excitement I can't even describe it! Everyone who has cruised knows the anticipation, so you can imagine that this more than doubled the planning, excitement & nerves! This was going to be an amazing once in a lifetime experience!
My friends and I had a fb group where we discussed all of this pretty much daily. Every email & phone call was shared with the group. They knew everything i knew. I feel like the only way to tell this complete story is to share our conversation. They have had the opportunity to tell their side for months while I stayed silent - here's the truth in their own words:














After this discussion on fb, I called the producer back. I wanted to clarify that the big picture would be our group friendship/fun and express my friends concerns about how we would be portrayed, She said that if my friends didn't want to participate, no one was forcing them. I said no no no we're all in and want to do this we just want to make sure we're on thge same "Page"about how we will be shown. Remember, at this point I thought we ALL were cast, and I was the spokesperson for everyone, so I felt I had to pass on everyone's concerns. No one ever came up with any different idea for our story. They wanted to cameras to just follow us and catch whatever happened. Well, that's not how tv works, so the story stayed at what will they do to get into the afterparty.
A couple weeks later the film crew came to my house again to film for the casting special. Again, I was interviewed mostly, and with my husband and kids, then a group cruise planning/party session with my friends. Both times they came to film, the producers were here all day with my friends. There was plenty of opportunity for my friends to ask any questions they wanted to the producer.  Shortly before the cruise, I was sent an email that said everyone needed to complete the paperwork and return it. (w4 etc) SO i fwd it to my friends but when Kelly sent hers they told her they only needed it from me. The ëveryone"part of the email ment everyone that was sent the email not everyone in my group. SO at this point it was obvious I was the only one getting paid. I told them all that whatever money I got, I would put in a payapl account to use on the next tour to buy our tickets. This was a group thing! also shortly before the cruise i was told they needed to interview me the day after the cruise. I had bought my flight months before I knew we were chosen. SO I had to buy a new return trip home at the last minute that was $460!
Finally after months of planning & anticipation it was time to cruise!!! Everything leading up to this had been so much fun! The whole tv process, seeing how it all comes together was really eye opening! I'd never been more excited for anything in my life as I stepped on that ship. There was no way I could know what was about to happen, but I knew I had my girls to share this amazing experience of a lifetime with! I obviously knew there would be BH backlash, I'd never done this alone. I get my feelings hurt easily, but I thought my friends would stand with me, not end up against me.